We are having a lunch to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Club. The details are:
When: Sunday 19th August commencing at 12.45 pm
Where: United Sports Club (aka. Adamstown Rosebuds Club), Bryant Street Adamstown (opposite Adamstown Rosebuds Soccer field). There is ramp access at the rear of the club from Morgan Street.
- Greeting (Jeff Biddlecombe)
- Short history (Roy Hardy)
- Pre-lunch “Nibblies” on each table, with serving of lunch commencing at 1pm
- Trivia Competition throughout lunch (3 sections: 1. How well do you know your Club and / or members 2. Bridge Hands 3. Entertainment / Sport)
- Anecdotes and stories (Ian Walker)
- Dessert (approx 1.30pm): Apple Pie and Custard / Pavlova to be served alternately – swapping OK
- Trivia answers and scoring: Winning table gets a $40 voucher per person
Nibblies, main meal and dessert will be funded by Newcastle Bridge Club; pay for your own drinks (tea and coffee will be available on side tables)
Action Needed: Get your menu choices in by the end of July (menu forms are available at the Club)
Judging from the happy smiles, a good time was had by all at our 2018 Congress in June!
There will be no bridge on Thursday 12th July due to the water supply being interrupted between 9:00am and 3:00pm
A decision was made at the April Committee meeting that there will be no qualifying rounds for the Club Teams Championship. Instead the event will be held as a single day event on Sunday 22 July, with a morning and afternoon session. This decision is consistent with the one previously made for the Club Pairs Championship.
A reminder that to be eligible to win this event, players must:
- Be financial members of the Newcastle Bridge Club; and
- Have played a minimum of six sessions in the preceding twelve months (excluding GNOTs, Country Teams, State Open Pairs and Club Champion events).
To see details of the program changes please click 2018 Program Changes
Newcastle Bridge Club members had very pleasing results in the 2018 Gold Coast Congress. Notable performances came from:
- Chris Dibley and Michael Seldon who qualified to play in the A Grade Final of the Open Pairs event;
- Wayne Smith and Paul McGrath who finished 2nd in the B Grade Final of the Seniors Pairs;
- Vincia and Giles Martin who won the C Grade Final of the Restricted Pairs event; and
- Jeff Conroy and Jill Blenkley who along with Hans Van Weeren and Peter Clarke from North Shore BC won the Restricted Teams Final.
Well done to them and to all of our members who competed.
The 2018 Graded Pairs competition will commence Friday 2nd March. Every session, played on the 1st Friday of each month until October, will be split into 2 grades, an A Grade and a B Grade. The grade in which a pair will play is to be determined by the combined total of their MP’s. Players with a combined total of 600 or more MP’s will play in A Grade while players with a combined total less than 600 MP’s will play in B Grade. The B Grade, although played as one section, will contain a C Grade section for players with under 150 MP’s.
The winners of all grades will be determined from the best aggregated scores from 6 of the 8 sessions. Substitutes are permissible. A prize pool for the event will be generated from an entry fee of $5 per player increased by an additional $7.50 per player from the Club. All money will be returned as prizes.
Entry forms have been posted on the notice board. Entry to the event will be possible up to and including 4th May.
For an explanation of the Rules attached to entry and participation click 2018 Friday Graded Pairs Regulations
The Graded Pairs competition finished on 3 November.
Congratulations to the winners and to everyone who participated. The overall winners were:
1st: Wayne Smith & Paul McGrath
2nd: Michael Simes & Rosalie Broughton
3rd: Don Miller & Jan Nicol
1st: Jeff Conroy & Jill Blenkey
2nd: Gai Brouwer & Brigitta Kuegler
3rd: Bruce Webster & Alan Hemmingway
1st: Jennifer Fowler & Jack Fowler
2nd: Vincia Martin & Giles Martin
3rd: Graham Woods & Grant Gamage
The final of the Club Pairs was held on Sunday 24th September with 8 pairs competing.
At the end of the two rounds scores were tied. Equal first with 52.70% were Rod Bell/Wayne Morgan and Pam Robinson/Christo Moskovsky.
Equal third with 51.20% were Paul McGrath/Chris Dibley and Diana Ellis/Chris Ellis.
After the tie was broken, according to the NSWBA Tournament Regulations, Wayne and Rod finished just ahead of Pam and Christo to be crowned the 2017 champions.
The GNOT regional final for the Hunter Region will be held at the Newcastle Bridge Club on Sunday 27th August. Teams from bridge clubs throughout the region will be competing for the three positons available to progress to the national finals which will be held at the Tweed Ultimate Resort in Tweed Heads from Friday 24th November to Monday 27th November 2017.
Play will commence 9.30am sharp. The format will be 6 x ten board matches, three before lunch and three after lunch. Lunch will not be provided so players are requested to bring their own. Drinks and snacks will be provided at the conclusion of play.